11.5.11

Not Your Average Sunday School

I wasn’t sure what to expect when I went to church this morning. It’s our first Sunday in Rwanda, and even though we immediately fell in love with this country and felt at home living with Isaac, Serena, Henry and Viola, we had seen enough Evangelical zealousness (to put it delicately) in Kenya to be wary. But as soon as I climbed the steps to the chapel, my little buddy Elia gave me a big smile and ran over to me. He held my hand as we walked into the building together to find Arown and Philippe, two of the older boys, pounding their little hearts out on drums while a chorus of kids gathered around them singing something that sounded like it belonged on the soundtrack to one of those epic period dramas where a Kim Bassinger-type moves to the Serengeti and has to adapt to the wildness and rawness of Africa.



It. Was. Awesome.



The singing and dancing lasted for over an hour, followed by a fifteen minute lesson by Isaac, and then more music. I will try to sneak a video at some point during our stay here.

1 comment:

  1. I love all the descriptions of Africa! (I just read the past 4 or 5 posts) I want to see all the colors and hear the music some day, too :) The kids sound SO cute! I would want to keep all of them! I think if I ever adopt, I should adopt an African baby/child.

    ReplyDelete